Yellow Ribbon Program, Post 9/11 GI Bill
The Yellow Ribbon Program, part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, is a voluntary program that allows universities to fund additional tuition expenses that exceed the amount of the core benefit provided by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which is capped at $20,235.02, if attending a private institution for 2015-2016. Institutions participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program can contribute up to 50% of the expenses that exceed the base benefit, and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match the amount provided by the institution.
Delaware Law has elected to expand its participation and, beginning with the 2014-2015 academic year, will fund as many as ten JD students with an unlimited contribution per student, not to exceed the cost of tuition.
The following requirements are for individuals interested in applying for the Yellow Ribbon Program at Delaware Law:
- Must be a juris doctor (JD) student for the 2015-2016 academic year
- Must provide a copy of your certificate of eligibility approved for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the rate of 100% with at least 5 months of eligibility remaining
There is no minimum number of credit hours required for participation, and awards will continue in subsequent years in which the student maintains satisfactory progress, conduct, and attendance. Recipients are awarded on a first come, first served basis.
How does it work?
For example, combined support from the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program for the 2015-2016 academic year is as follows for a regular division JD student (15 credit hours/semester):
|Delaware Law Tuition and Mandatory Fees
Less: Post 9/11 GI Bill*Mandatory cap for private institutions*
|Less: Delaware Law Yellow Ribbon Program Grant
|Less: VA Yellow Ribbon Program Match
|Remaining Student Obligation
The Yellow Ribbon Program covers tuition and mandatory fees and does not include room and board or books and supplies, which are provided for separately under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Merit scholarships awarded at any time during enrollment offset the Yellow Ribbon amount awarded by Delaware Law.
Requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program include the following:
- In order to be considered for the program, a student must be a JD student for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- To receive the maximum (100%) basic benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, students must have applied to the VA for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits and expect to be approved.
Interested students should
- Apply to the VA for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. We recommend that students complete this process through the electronic application form provided on the VA’s website.
- Fill out our simple web form. <UPDATE LINK> This form will collect directory information only and reserves your place in line by time-stamping the form when it is submitted.
Standard Disclaimer for External Links